The hamlets of Venables
The different hamlets of Venables
Fontaine La Verte
Small hamlet located two kilometers from the town center. Fontaine la Verte has developed along a main axis where housing has gradually become established on the hillside exposed to the Southeast.
In 1200, the fief of Fonteneverte was owned by Mr. Garnier. In 1257 Roger Langlois was Sieur de Fonteneverte.
The name of this fiefdom certainly comes from the many water streams and springs that emerge from the ground. Curiosities: the oldest house in the village dating from the 17th century.
La Mare sous Venables
Main hamlet located northeast of the town center. La Mare sous Venables stretches at the foot of the plateau along two main and almost parallel routes in the meander of the Seine. The alluvial part of the meander has been largely transformed by the creation of a body of water of 186 hectares following the exploitation of a sand pit.
In 1093, the fief of the Mare belonged to Guillaume and Hugues, lords of the Mare. In 1066 they accompany their neighbor Gilbert de Venables to join the Ost of Duke William of Normandy who will leave to conquer England. Guillaume dies during the battle of Hasting. Hugues will be named Hugh of Delamere. The last known lord of this fief is Jean de Mausavoir in 1696.
In the texts taken from the "viscounty of water" in the parish of Venables, was the ditch of the Mare or devil's valley. This passage was so dangerous that the drivers of the tow horses climbed more than a thousand feet inland to avoid it. There was on this ravine a small bridge from 18 to 20 feet that the canons of Beauvais had to maintain.
Curiosities: Father DALLEMAGNE (parish priest of Venables from 1945 to 1963) wanted to highlight Notre Dame de Beauraing who brought her back from Belgium in 1949. Helped financially by a resident of the Mare sous Venables, Madame GERARD contributed to the construction of a building to implant the Statue on rue du Pont Bleu and Rue de la Mare. On Ascension Day a mass was celebrated there in the open air until 1963. Since 2011, the Brotherhood of Charity of Venables has perpetuated this celebration again.
Monument commemorating the resistance of the French army in 1870 against the Prussians.
The hamlet of L'Ormais is located on the banks of the Seine on the highest part of the meander of the Seine called "Le Diguet"..
The fief of La Rive belonged successively to the Métayer and Campion families. At the time of the Revolution, the Beauvais chapter owned it. A dim barn, the last witness to this seigniory, disappeared at the start of the 19th century. The monks of St Ouen built a priory with dovecote, of which there are some private remains.
This place experienced activity from the 15th century, due to its proximity to the river and the increase in river transport of people and goods. In fact, at that time, for safety reasons, travelers had to leave the boat at Villers-sur-le-Roule and take the coach which linked the hamlet of La Rive by land. The travelers, after a stop at the inn, could take the boat and continue their journey.
Around 1851, farmers built a dike to protect crops from the Seine floods. A ferry made it possible to cross the Seine, from the Shore to Muids. Its activity ceased following a shipwreck.
This hamlet is located at the foot of the Madrie plateau west of the town center. Located at the municipal limit, the hamlet extends over two municipalities: Heudebouville and Venables.
Prospecting of the soil by a resident passionate about archeology gave rise to the discovery of Campignian tools. "Lithic industry characterized by bulky and fairly rudimentary tools". They appeared in the 4th millennium, during the Neolithic period. in 1060 the stronghold of Ormais belonged to the canon of Evreux Gautier. In 1705, it belonged to Jacques le Métayer, lord of Ormais and lord of the Mare. Oral tradition notes that this place had a small fishing port on the river in the 18th century because it is said that "a fisherman, Nicolas Legendre drowned in the valley to the devil by going to raise his nets on June 21, 1724 "
Site: Remarkable restoration of an old priory in a private residence.
Le Moulin à Vent
It is unfortunately difficult for us to define the history of this hamlet. It is also located in the two municipalities of Heudebouville and Venables.
Currently this hamlet is composed of a manor house and an old agricultural property. This mansion would be built on the ruins of an old villa agraria, near the Roman road which linked Neubourg to the city of Andelys to join the Great Roman road Lutèce (Paris) to Rotomagus (Rouen) where the presence of traces (ditches) of a Roman oppidum which is located in the woods of Fontaine-la-Verte.
This small fief was a "quarter of haubert" having hostel, manor mansion, chapel, farmyard, dovecote and enclosure containing twenty acres, yard and use, seneschal, provost, and forester. In 1513, Antoine de Caradas was lord of Val-d'Ailly. Louis Henri Mangin was the last feudal lord of Val-d'Ailly. His son Etienne Mangin was one of the most noted officers of the French navy in the first half of the 19th century. He died with the rank of rear admiral.